Psilocybe pelliculosa — Gelatinous-skinned psilocybe
Odour: Unremarkable, slightly farinaceous.
Cap: 0.5-2 cm in diameter, conical when young, becoming more convex with age but at least half a high as broad. When moist, yellowish or orangish brown, translucent, the gills showing through as delicate radiating lines. The outer 'skin' of the cap can be peeled off when specimens are fresh and moist. Caps change to opaque buff as they dry and may become somewhat greenish or bluish if bruised.
Gills: Close to one another, attached to stipe as well as cap, coloured grey or grey-brown when young and darkening to purplish brown with age.
Stems: 3-10 cm long x 0.1-0.3 cm wide, slender, pale yellow-brown when young to brownish with silky fibrils. Become somewhat greenish or bluish where touched and bruised.
Ring or veil: Inconspicuous, a few fibers remaining around the stem, or absent.
Cup or volva: None.
Spores: 9.5-11 x 5-7 µm, smooth, ellipsoid with a germ pore.
Other microscopic characters: "Cheilocystidia", specialized, enlarged cells with a finger-like projection form a band hanging down from gill edges.
Habitat: In soil, duff and woody debris, on debris from forest clear-cuts, on woodchips in urban areas1,5; saprotrophic.
Geographical range: Western North America, northern California through BC; east to Idaho.
Toxins: Low concentrations of psilocybin, which is metabolized to psilocin.
Symptoms: Time of onset, 20-30 min after ingestion, usually lasting 6-8 (15) hours. Symptoms include visual and auditory hallucinations, dilation of pupils, confusion, loss of control of body movements, psychosis, nausea and vomiting. Severe reactions can include elevated levels of methemoblobin leading to oxygen deficiency in tissues, fever and seizures. Children may be more likely to experience severe reactions.
Treatment: Contact your regional Poison Control Centre if you realize you or someone you know has become ill after eating any psilocybe mushrooms. Poison centres provide free, expert medical advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If possible, save the mushrooms or some of the leftover food containing the mushrooms to help confirm identification.
British Columbia: 604-682-5050 or 1-800-567-8911.
United States (WA, OR, ID): 1-800-222-1222.